Senators McCain and Collins have withdrawn their support from the Graham-Cassidy Trump
Doesn’tCare bill, which is estimated to rob coverage from over 20 million people. But the bill’s defeat is far from certain. We need to do everything we can to take it down, for Californians and for Americans everywhere.
The Senate Finance Committee will be holding a hearing on Graham-Cassidy tomorrow at 2pm ET. IndivisibleGuide is asking members to fill the hearing record with strong statements of opposition and stories of the devastating impact this would have on people, including people with disabilities and pre-existing conditions. See below for your action.
Meanwhile, there are just days left to stop EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt from repealing the Clean Water Rule and regulations on fracking, and the House is soon to vote on a bill that would weaken civil rights for people with disabilities. Those of you who attended our September meeting will remember a rousing debate on HR 620, where we discussed balancing the needs of small business owners with the rights of people with disabilities, and the hope that this bill would prevent frivolous lawsuits against business owners. Having analyzed the bill and the evidence on both sides, I feel that HR 620 places significant burdens on people with disabilities to instigate the enforcement of the ADA and protect their own civil rights, whereas it should be the responsibility of all public businesses to be in compliance with the ADA and accessible to all. I am certainly compassionate when a business is targeted for a lawsuit that is truly frivolous, or when they have already complied with the ADA, but the bill does nothing to prevent this. And vulnerable populations must be able to sue for their rights if necessary.
Can’t make it to our Member of Congress office visits? Send us your top issues to take to the senators.
Mark your calendar for our next all-hands meeting:
Stand Up SF October Meeting
Sunday, October 15th
2pm – 4pm
This week’s Stand Up SF actions:
- DEADLINE MONDAY: Save the ACA, save lives #1: Submit testimony for Monday’s hearing on the Graham-Cassidy bill by emailing GCHcomments@finance.senate.gov. Send letters, testimony, video links, photos, stories, etc. about how TrumpCare would devastate you or someone you care about. Please send a copy of your comments to our Senators as well (see the links in the sidebar). Comments to be submitted by 10:00 a.m. on Monday 9/25/2017.
- Save the ACA, save lives #2: Use IndivisibleGuide’s calling tool to make a difference in red states. Call every day!
- DEADLINE MONDAY: Protect our water #1: The Bureau of Land Management is taking public comments on the rollback of fracking protections. Find talking points here. Submit your comment here.
- Protect our water #2: The EPA is taking public comments on its plan to repeal the Clean Water Rule, which protects our drinking water. Get talking points here. Submit a comment here.
- Support civil rights for Americans with disabilities: Call Congresswoman Pelosi and ask her to vote NO on HR 620. You can say, “Hi, I’m [NAME] and I’m calling because I’m concerned about the civil rights of Americans with disabilities. H.R. 620 removes incentives for businesses to comply with the ADA, and places excessive burdens on individuals with disabilities. Please vote NO on H.R. 620.”
Actions with other groups:
- TOMORROW: Join Indivisible Sonoma County downtown for a #KillTheBill sit-in to protest TrumpCare. Get details and sign up.