A little good news on the immigration front: Secretary of Homeland Security John Kelly announced last week that he has extended the temporary protected status (TPS) designation for Haiti for an additional six months. Many thanks to everyone who called and emailed on this issue.
And in local news, California SB 562, the Healthy California Act that would transition our state to single payer healthcare, has made it through committee and is now up to the CA Senate for a vote! Please make your voice heard on this issue.
It’s another recess week, and members of Stand Up San Francisco will be attending Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi’s sold-out public event at the Commonwealth Club. We’ll be preparing questions to take with us. If you have tickets to this event, please email Paul so we can coordinate and make sure you have the questions in hand.
Many thanks to Suzanne for leading last week’s action at Congresswoman Pelosi’s office. We learned from her staff that many Republicans are not expected to go along with Trump’s horrible budget, which is likely to face significant opposition in the Senate. We also discussed Pelosi’s reluctance to use the word “impeachment” even as the Russia investigation continues to reveal more evidence of collusion, and the “big tent” approach she is taking to support for abortion rights within the Democratic party. Read Suzanne’s full summary of the action here.
This week’s Stand Up SF actions
This recess, we’re focusing on four key topics: Saving the ACA, resisting Trump’s budget, protecting our families from the depredations of Wall Street, and fighting mass incarceration.
- Republican Senators are hoping we’re all so distracted by Russia that they can secretly repeal the ACA and pass Trumpcare. Call both senators and demand that all members of the Senate, not just an all male working group, are allowed to participate in debate and offer amendments. Say “Hi, my name is _____ and I’m a constituent of the Senator in San Francisco. I am very distressed to learn that Senate Republicans are trying to ram through ACA repeal. Please ask the Senator to demand that all members of the senate are allowed to participate in debate and offer amendments. In addition, I want to know why the Senator has not proposed legislation that provides equal or better access to affordable, comprehensive healthcare as the Affordable Care Act does.”
- Demand parity between defense and non-defense spending in our budget. Since 2011, increases to defense spending have been matched with increases to non-defense spending. The Trump Budget would violate this principle by slashing non-defense spending while increasing the already huge U.S. military budget by $54 billion. Call all three MoCs and tell them not to approve any budget that over-funds our military at the expense of protecting our environment. Say “I’m [NAME], a constituent from San Francisco, [zip code]. I’m calling to ask [Senator or Representative’s NAME] to fight Trump’s proposed budget cuts. I’m particularly concerned about his plans to slash the EPA budget by 31% in order to increase military spending. These cuts would cost the EPA 3,200 jobs and more than 30 individual programs. That’s unacceptable, and I want my lawmakers to fight these proposed budget cuts. Please pass my concerns along to [Senator or Representative’s NAME]. Thank you for taking my call!”
- Protect Americans from losing their jobs, homes, and savings. In June, the House is voting on the Financial CHOICE Act, HR 10, which would dismantle the Dodd-Frank Act and remove consumer protections from banks, predatory lenders, and other financial institutions. Call Congresswoman Pelosi and tell her you oppose this legislation. (script)
- Stand up against mass incarceration: Call Congresswoman Pelosi and ask her to support HR 2435, the Justice Safety Valve Act, against Jeff Sessions’ return to mandatory minimum sentencing. (script).
Actions with other groups
- Wed 5/31, 5:30pm in the Mission: Learn how to help local immigrants! Join the SF Rapid Response Network for a volunteer orientation and get the info you need to become a volunteer dispatcher, report ICE, and help protect your community. Contact Marisela at DSCS to sign up.
- Thu 6/1, 6pm: Sister District Project is throwing a big Happy Hour/Fundraiser to benefit Democrat Lee Carter for Virginia House of Delegates. Learn more.
- Sun 6/4, 12pm at Fort Mason: CA Senator Scott Weiner speaks at ACLU’s People Power Rally. This is a great opportunity for local action, especially to ask the Senator to support single payer in California. Sign up here.