Great news: SB 562, the Healthy California Act guaranteeing single-payer health care for all, has passed the Senate! This is a huge win for health justice in California. The bill now proceeds to the CA Assembly, where there will be a lot of work to do to ensure the plan is affordable and equitable. Please make sure Assemblymembers Ting and Chiu know where you stand on single-payer!
In federal news, this week the House votes on H. R. 10: the so-called “Financial CHOICE Act“, which eliminates major consumer safeguards created in the wake of the disastrous financial crisis of 2008. In essence, it would deregulate banks and financial institutions, destroy the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), and obliterate consumer protections as we currently know them, including allowing banks to gouge consumers with debit card fees.
House Republicans are hoping to sneak this bill through without Americans knowing. Meanwhile, the constitutional crisis continues. Last month, Donald Trump fired FBI Director James Comey, the person charged with investigating his Administration. This Thursday, Comey testifies before the Senate Intelligence Committee. To get you ready for that, we’re sharing Indivisible Guide’s Truth or Trump: Constitutional Crisis and What You Need to Know. This document outlines Trump’s obstruction of justice, the sham congressional investigations that are covering up the evidence of Russian collusion, and what we need to be asking our MoCs for. And if you’re confused about all the different investigation options (what’s a special counsel? what’s an independent commission?), this explainer breaks them down for you.
On Wednesday, we’ll be asking Senator Feinstein to prioritize funding for the EPA as budget negotiations move forward. We’ll also pressure her to co-sponsor S. 1127, the Justice Safety Valve Act, to undo Jeff Sessions’ return to mandatory minimum sentencing and help reform our racist, shameful incarceration system. Please join us to bring your issues to the table!
This week’s Stand Up SF actions
- Expose Russian collusion: Call Senator Harris and ask why she has not yet signed on to S. 27, Ben Cardin’s bill to establish an independent commission to explore Russian interference in our election. (script)
- Don’t let the GOP deregulate Wall Street: Call Congresswoman Pelosi and find out where she stands on the Financial CHOICE Act (H.R. 10). Make sure she knows that you oppose it. (script)
- Bring single-payer health care to CA: call California Assemblymembers Ting and Chiu and tell them you support SB 562 and single-payer for California, or send a letter of support! (call script and letter template)
- Protect women from discrimination: Call California Assemblymembers Ting and Chiu and ask them to support the Reproductive Health Non-Discrimination Act (RHNDA) to protect women from discrimination for their reproductive choices. (script)
- Support Governor Brown’s fight to protect California’s environment: contact him and thank him for forming the U.S. Climate Alliance to defy Trumps’ retreat from the Paris Agreement. (background). Extra credit: call Mayor Ed Lee and thank him for pledging to honor the Paris Agreement.
Actions with other groups
- Sat 6/10: Phone bank for ACA and for Archie Parnell (South Carolina) with Democracy Action. RSVP
- Resist reproductive rights rollbacks! NARAL is looking for activists to host reproductive freedom action parties. Learn more and sign up here.
- SwingLeft asks that you donate and volunteer for Jon Ossoff’s runoff campaign in Georgia. Help turn this red state blue! Learn more.
- Tue 6/6 10am: Join a webinar on Advancing Police Accountability in the Trump Era. Register here
- Tue 6/13: Leading activists from 350.org, Last Real Indians, and the Student Divestment Network present a webcast on The Power of Divestment. RSVP
- Wed 6/14: Join Ben of Ben and Jerry’s for ice cream and a discussion on how to overturn Citizens United. RSVP