Just a few hours ago, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer announced that single payer health care is “on the table”, along with other options like making Medicare available to people over 55. This is huge news: we said we wanted single payer, and Senate Democrats are listening. As Paul Hessinger quoted at our meeting yesterday, “If the people lead, the leaders will follow.”
While Schumer is optimistic that the GOP’s latest disaster of a healthcare bill (repeal everything, replace with nothing) will not pass, Sen. Mitch McConnell is not going to stop. Even if you’ve already spoken up on this issue, make sure you check off all six items on Phyllis’ to-do list to stop TrumpCare.
- Support single payer! Call all three MoCs and express your support for single payer healthcare. Thank them for defending the ACA, but tell them you want more. (calling tool and script)
- Stand up for bail reform! Call Senator Harris and thank her for her work on the bail reform bill. You can say “I’m a constituent from San Francisco and I want to thank the senator for her leadership on bail reform. Her bill is a great step forward for justice in this country. Please convey my thanks to the Senator.”
- Say no to fracking! Senator Harris is considering voting for Mitch McConnell’s dirty energy bill, the Energy and Natural Resources Act, which would pave the way for fossil fuel expansion, undermining the necessary clean energy transition. The vote could come as early as tomorrow, so call right away and tell Senator Harris to vote NO. (calling tool and script)
Actions with other groups
- Tue 7/25: part of Litquake, SF’s literary festival: “A Bunch of Bad Hombres: Immigrant Writers Respond to Trump” RSVP
- Thu 7/27: Join NARAL Pro-Choice America for a webinar on activism for reproductive freedom. Sign up.
- Thu 8/3: Join Democracy Action to phone bank for Democratic candidates in two key states. Get details and sign up.
At our meeting yesterday, Gordon shared information about The People’s Revolution, a coalition of grassroots organizers and activists who have created a progressive platform to ensure racial, climate, and economic justice, democracy, and health care for all. They’re recommending we ask our MoCs to pass eight pieces of legislation aimed at these goals. Stand Up SF leadership will be evaluating the bills, but you can get a head start here. Interested in the People’s Platform? Tell us what you think!